Penne with Roasted Spring Vegetables
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into thirds
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- Olive oil for brushing
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. penne, cooked al dente
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced mixed fresh herbs, such as mint, basil and oregano
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Prepare a grill on medium-high heat.
- Arrange the zucchini, bell peppers and onion in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Brush on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables on the grill, cover the grill and cook, turning once, until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, stir well and cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to a warmed shallow serving bowl. Add the grilled vegetables, extra-virgin olive oil, mixed fresh herbs, chili, olives and almonds and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. If using feta cheese, sprinkle it over the pasta and toss to combine.