- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (10-ounce) center-cut beef tenderloin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 3 springs rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In an ovenproof, heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the olive oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Season the meat with salt, garlic and pepper, then brown it in the pan on all sides.
- Transfer the pan to the oven, place butter rosemary and onion and around the roast. Roast in the oven until the meat's internal temperature reaches 134°F (for medium), 25-30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.