Sautéed Spinach with Feta, Roasted Almonds, Garlic and Raisins
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 lb. spinach leaves, tough stems removed and
leaves well rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper or cayenne
pepper, to taste
- Put the raisins in a small heatproof bowl and add boiling water to cover. Cover the bowl and let stand for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté lightly until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Put the spinach with just the rinsing water clinging to the leaves in a saucepan over medium-high heat, cover, and cook until the spinach is bright green and wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well in a sieve, pressing the spinach with the back of a spoon to remove excess moisture. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, chop it coarsely.
- Add the spinach, drained raisins and almonds to the onion and garlic in the fry pan and return to medium heat.
- Stir until the spinach and onion are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.