- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white rice
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed plum tomatoes or fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon torn basil leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 drops tabasco sauce
- Croutons, parsley or grilled cheese for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and the garlic and saute until softened, about three minutes.
- add the broth, rice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is soft about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and basil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender until smooth and return to saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in the cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and tabasco and reheat gently.
- taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve and garnish with croutons or a delicious grilled cheese!