Zucchini Corn Soup with Bacon
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups of fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- In a large, heavy pot, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning once until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Let cool, then cut into bite-sized pieces. set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pot. Add the oil, onion and garlic and saute over medium-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- add the zucchini and saute for 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of corn kernels and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and slightly cool.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return to pot and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter over heat. Add the remaining 1/2 cup corn kernels, bacon and thyme. Fry, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve the soup topped with the corn and bacon mixture.